I received my Ph.D. in computer science on 15.July.2015 at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany. My main research interests are cross-layer reliability optimization covering various system layers like compiler and run-time system, fault-tolerant computing, approximate computing and embedded systems. I developed various reliability models and adaptive optimization techniques at different design abstractions of the software and hardware stacks. I have contributed to the GetSURE-I and GetSURE-II projects that focus on enabling reliability across multiple system layers (i.e., run-time system, architecture, and compilation). These projects are funded by the German Research Foundation's (DFG) priority research program (SPP1500) under the scope of "Dependable Embedded Systems". In particular, I contributed towards proposal writing (in parts, on behalf of the principal investigators) and researching novel concepts and solutions. I received CODES+ISSS 2015 and 2011 Best Paper Awards, several HiPEAC Paper Awards, Richard Newton Young Student Fellow Award at DAC 2015, and Research Student Award at KIT in 2012. I have 20+ publications in premier journals and conferences on various aspects of dependable computing, fault tolerance, and adaptive reliability optimization.
- Compiler and Run-Time Systems for Reliable Computing
- Compiler-Level Support for Adaptive Systems
- Approximate Computing across Different Layers of the Software Stack
- Embedded Systems
Awards and Achievements
- Best Paper Awards
- CODES+ISSS'15 Best Paper Award for the paper “R2Cache: Reliability-Aware Reconfigurable Last-Level Cache Architecture for Multi-Cores” in IEEE International Conference on Hardware-Software Codesign and System Synthesis, 2015.
- CODES+ISSS'11 Best Paper Award for the paper “Reliable Software for Unreliable Hardware: Embedded Code Generation aiming at Reliability” in IEEE International Conference on Hardware-Software Codesign and System Synthesis, 2011.
- Richard Newton Young Student Fellow Award at DAC 2015.
- HiPEAC Paper Awards by the European Network of Excellence on High Performance and Embedded Architecture and Compilation.
- DAC 2015 paper on “Hayat: Harnessing Dark Silicon and Variability for Aging Deceleration and Balancing”.
- DAC 2014 paper on “ASER: Adaptive Soft Error Resilience for Reliability-Heterogeneous Processors in the Dark Silicon Era”.
- DAC 2014 paper on “dTune: Leveraging Reliable Code Generation for Adaptive Dependability Tuning under Process Variation and Aging-Induced Effects”.
- DAC 2014 paper on “Multi-Layer Dependability: From Microarchitecture to Application Level”.
- DAC 2013 paper on “Exploiting Program-Level Masking and Error Propagation for Constrained Reliability Optimization”.
- DAC 2013 paper on “RASTER: Runtime Adaptive Spatial/Temporal Error Resiliency for Embedded Processors”.
- DAC 2012 paper on “Instruction Scheduling for Reliability-Driven Compilation”.
- Research Student Award’12: Research Student Awards (RSA) from KIT, Summer 2012
[Money = 1000 + 2400 Euros].
- DAAD - Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst Scholarship Award for Ph.D. studies at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany.
- Awards for Students that I Supervised:
- Hermann-Billing-Preis 2012 for Best Master Thesis: “Analysis and Design of Hybrid Hardware/Software Reliability Techniques for Embedded Processors” by my student Florian Kriebel: Prize Money = 1000 Euros
- Reviewer for the following Transaction:
- TCAD – Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems: 2015.
- Reviewer (on behalf of Prof. Dr. Jörg Henkel and Dr. Muhammad Shafique) for the following conferences:
- ICCAD – IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design: 2015.
- DAC – ACM/IEEE/EDA Design Automation Conference 2012.
- DATE – IEEE/ACM Design Automation and Test in Europe Conference: 2013.
- CASES – IEEE International Conference on Compilers Architectures and Synthesis of Embedded Systems: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015.
- ESTIMedia –IEEE Symposium on Embedded Systems for Real-time Multimedia: 2015.
- ASP-DAC – Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference: 2014.
- NOCS – IEEE International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip: 2011.
- SCOPES – International Workshop on Software and Compilers for Embedded Systems: 2015.
- ISVLSI – IEEE Computer Society Annual Symposium on VLSI: 2013.
- SAMOS – International Conference on Embedded Computer Systems: Architectures, Modeling, and Simulation: 2013.
- M. Shafique, S. Rehman, “Designing and Architecting Advanced Embedded Systems”, at the National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Dec. 2014, Islamabad, Pakistan.