Hussam Amrouch is currently a research group leader of the "Dependable Hardware" group at the Chair for Embedded Systems (CES) at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT). He received in 03.06.2015 his Ph.D. in Computer Science (Dr.-Ing.) with distinct "Summa Cum Laude, mit Auszeichnung" from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany under the supervision of Prof. Jörg Henkel. He received his B.Sc. degree in Computer Engineering from the University of Aleppo in 2007 with excellent note and First Rank. He had been awarded with the "Top Student Award" among all bachelor graduate students of the faculty of Electrical Engineering.
His main research interest is the reliability of on-chip systems with a special focus on investigating (from the physical level to the system level) the effects of aging phenomena, temperature and soft errors. During his Ph.D. studies, Hussam Amrouch had developed the first thermal measurement setup that allows IR cameras to perspicuously capture the thermal images of processor chips without any interference layer in between.
Dr. Amrouch serves as an associate editor at Integration, the VLSI Journal.
Dr. Amrouch was recently interviewed by the KIT-Dialog magazine regarding his research work.
Dr. Amrouch recently received three Best Paper Award Nominations at DAC'17, DAC'16 and DATE'17.
- Aging modeling and aging-aware VLSI designs.
- Low power and thermal-aware designs.
- Reliability-aware techniques for SRAM-based components.
- Dependable Embedded Systems.
- FPGA-based on-chip systems.
- Physical/Device-level Research:
- Prof. Montserrat Nafria at the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB), Spain.
- Prof. Souvik Mahapatra at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay, India.
- Circuit/Architecture-level Research:
- Prof. Andreas Gerstlauer at the University of Texas (UT) at Austin, USA.
- Prof. Fadi Kurdahi at the University of California, Irvine (UCI), USA.
- System-level Research:
- Prof. Tulika Mitra at the National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore.
- Prof. Sri Parameswaran at the University of New South Wales (UNSW), Australia. (completed)
- Prof. Zili Shao at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.(completed)
- Real-Time Research:
- Prof. Enrico Bini at the University of Turin, Italy.
- Ph.D. degree with distinct (2015): around 5% of Ph.D. candidates may get it at the Computer Science department, KIT.
- European Network of Excellence on High Performance and Embedded Architecture and Compilation (HiPEAC) Paper Award (FCCM’13).
- First Rank Student when receiving the B.Sc. degree (2007).
- First Rank Student: 4th year of Computer Engineering B.Sc. studies (2006).
- First Rank Student: 3rd year of Computer Engineering B.Sc. studies (2005).
- Fourth Rank Student: 2nd year of Computer Engineering B.Sc. studies (2004).
- Second Rank Student: 1st year of Computer Engineering B.Sc. studies (2003).
- Associate editor at Integration, the VLSI Journal.
- Reviewer for International Journals:
- IEEE Transactions on VLSI Systems (TVLSI): Year 2017.
- Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (TCAD): Year 2014 - 2017.
- IEEE Embedded System Letters (ESL): Year 2013.
- Technical Program Committee (TPC) member:
- International Conference On Computer Aided Design (ICCAD): Year 2017.
- International Design and Test Symposium (IDT): Year 2015, 2016.
- Reviewer for International Conferences (by myself or on behalf of Prof. Henkel):
- DATE, ICCD, ISPLED, DAC, CODES+ISSS, CASES, ISVLSI, ARCS, IESS, NOC, MSCOPES and others.
- Reliability Degradation in the Scope of Aging - From Physical to System Level
10th IEEE International Design & Test Symposium (IDT’15)
Dead Sea, Jordan, December 2015